|UPDATE: Lord Coe said no – See our article HERE and local press HERE|
Let’s together get the Olympic Torch Relay route to pass through Whitchurch – and other neighbouring Hampshire towns – on Wednesday, 11 July 2012!
We know the Relay is visiting big towns nearby on that date: Basingstoke, Kings Worthy, Winchester, Andover – see story HERE.
What has not yet been announced is the route between Basingstoke and Kings Worthy — that is where this campaign comes in.
The detailed route is being finalised now, and will be announced next year, perhaps in February 2012 when the Torchbearers are named. This is our last opportunity to influence the organiser’s decision on the final route!
Already, over 1000 people along the proposed route by this campaign have signed the petition! Thank you!
- Please sign the petition
- Find it in local shops, pubs and town halls
- It will be sent to Sebastian Coe and his London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) after Christmas.
Feel free to take the initiative to put it around your town if you cannot find a copy…
- Petition forms and posters for your town are HERE
- Return filled ones to the Whitchurch Town Hall, RG28 7DW before Christmas.
- Facebook Group: B3400 Torch Relay
A map of the proposed route, quotes from some of the campaign supporters, and downloads of posters, and petitions:
The 1948 Olympic Torch Relay came through this area, including Whitchurch — seeing it again in 2012 would be spectacular!