This official town website belongs to the people of Whitchurch. It is run for the community by the community. It is overseen by the Whitchurch Association – a registered charity – and local volunteers are elected at its AGM to be its editors.
You can write items for the town website – whether they be business listings, tourist info, community campaigns or local news. Then, later, you can edit your listings yourself to keep them up to date.
It is pretty straight-forward to get started (click on these pictures to see them in a larger size, then read the steps below).
Create an account
You will first need to create an account to use on the website. You do this by ‘registering’…
Here’s what to do…
- Click the ‘register’ link at the top-right of the home page
- Fill in the form to create an account and click the ‘Register’ button
- Check your email for a message from the website which will tell you the next step to verify the account
- While in your email programme, please send a message to the editors to ask them to upgrade your account so that you can write items: email@example.com
- The editors will upgrade your account to ‘contributor’ so that you can get started
WRITING YOUR ITEM
After the editors have upgraded your account, you can get going with creating your item whether it be a:
- News item
- Business Listing
- Some other kind of listing (for example, a campaign)
Log in to the website
All are created in pretty much the same way, but some have places in the form where you can add additional details, such as with events and business listings.
Here’s what to do…
- Click the ‘login’ link at the top-right of the home page and fill in the details you created earlier;
- You will be taken to the ‘Dashboard’ that is the controlling force behind the website – the site uses the free, popular programme called WordPress;
- Click on the kind of item you want to create from the selection shown in the left-hand side column (details about each are shown below);
- Write! Fill in a title, the body and a sentence or two for the excerpt;
- On the right-side, scroll through the list of categories and choose the appropriate one (if applicable);
- (optional but recommended) Fill in a few keywords in the ‘Tags’ section at the right to help the search programme find your item;
- Click the button to submit your item for review by the site’s editors;
- Send an email to the editors to let them know you are awaiting publication of your item: firstname.lastname@example.org
Writing a News Item
Follow the arrows in each picture below to see how you can add a news item (click on the picture to see a larger version):
Writing a Event Listing
Follow the arrows in each picture below to see how you can add an event listing (click on the picture to see a larger version):
Writing a Business Listing
Follow the arrows in each picture below to see how you can add a business listing (click on the picture to see a larger version):