Whitchurch and Overton Pool League

Results/Reports for 16th January 2013

Kings Ladies bring the house down
The Kings Arms Ladies finally broke their duck by beating the Old House at Home 6-3 making last week’s achievement of reaching 10 points seem exactly what is was (no big deal). So after losing all of their previous 11 league and cup games, including 2 defeats against the Old House, victory was sweet.

Woop Woop

Donna Withers, Gemma Freeborough and Tracey Ford all recorded their first singles wins to set the team on their way to doubling their league points to 20. The vital 5th point to claim the win and bonus points was won in the pairs match where Lyn Meyrick and Tracey Ford beat Charles Wightman and J.Springer (who had both won in the singles).

Smiling happy faces all round including all over the result card along with some “woop woops” and “hell yeahs”
Other players contributing to the win were Ann Harper, Karen Gibbons, Ali Love and captain Ali Freeborough.
(Click picture to enlarge)

Doors slammed shut on league leaders

The George Doors took a surprise 4-0 lead away to the league leaders WSSC with wins for Alan Strong, Jason Davis, Ricky Jepson and Les Smith. WSSC then rallied with their oldest player Bob Banning (70) and youngest Richard Sopp (Age unknown, looks about 12) winning the last 2 singles. They then paired up with Malcolm Sopp and Alan Phippen to win the first 2 pairs and tie the match at 4-4.
The final game saw WSSC captain Rob Minall and Darren Boxall take on George pairing Alan Strong and Les Smith with the George coming out as victors.
Great result for the George Doors.

Royal Rumble

The battle of the two Prince Regent teams went the same way as their first clash with the Prince Reunions beating the Hairy Potter and the Half Cut Prince 5-4. A good start for the improved Matt Dowling (Potters) was soon wiped out when Jeremy Stickland (Reunion) beat out of form Kevin Birks who has now lost both his games in January but says it has nothing to do with him choosing to keep off the alcohol for a month.
The games then went back and forth with wins for Simon Grove(Reunion), Dirk Marsh (Potters), Chris Mathews(Reunion) and John Wright(Potters captain) to leave it at 3-3. John Wright then paired up with Shane Coughtrey to take the first pairs for the Potters and then at the end of the next game a seemingly easy black to win the match was missed by Dirk Marsh (he will appreciate this being mentioned) to let in Jeremy Stickland and Chris Mathews.
The final game was won pretty comfortably by Simon Grove and captain Luke Stickland.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked (*).