WESSEX LEAGUE CUP – Quarter Final – played at Longmeadow, Whitchurch.

Whitchurch’s remarkable first season in the top flight continued as, for the second time within a month, they defeated the League leaders with the only goal of the game. On the initial occasion three points were the reward, this time a place in the League Cup Semi final where they will meet Division One giant killers Petersfield Town.




Whitchurch, without the cup-tied Nic Turpin and the injured Luke Walker, were offered a dream start when Shane Locke and defender James Butt both went down in pursuit of a through ball and the referee awarded what looked to be a rather harsh penalty. Newport will feel justice was done when goalkeeper Gary Streeter dived to his right to save Pa Touray’s spot kick but they seemingly allowed the decision to rattle them for the rest of the game.

Five minutes later Streeter went from hero to villain as he came out for a through ball, kicked fresh air, and Locke steered the ball into the empty net. The keeper then denied from Isaac Sedu with his legs before Iain Seabrook was too high at the other end and the visitors had a reasonable penalty appeal for hand ball turned down. Newport lost full back Butt with a nasty looking injury after a collision with a fellow defender and when Sedu’s pace took him clear he was foiled again by the advancing Streeter leaving the home side a goal ahead at the break.

After the break…
A clever Locke pass immediately on the re-start offered Sedu a chance but again the burly Streeter was down to block before the same player showed clever control but was too high with his shot. With Newport enjoying the greater share of possession Seabrook’s shot was deflected over and Charlie Smeeton was narrowly wide with a far post header.

Whitchurch replaced Curtis Angell with new signing Tom Lockyer but then gave the ball away in midfield, Tom Hindmarsh could only parry Smeeton’s low cross, but Ryan Oatley sent the loose ball over the bar from the edge of the six yard box. A neat move between Locke and Dave Asker won the home side a corner and Streeter had to leave his area to deny the speedy Lockyer. The big keeper them moved upfield for a corner at the other end but it was the home side who looked the more threatening at the finish with Sedu shooting wide and then seeing another effort take a deflection and superbly saved by the goalkeeper.

Whitchurch now in the Semi-Final
Newport, despite their share of the possession, could not muster enough threat in front of goal and it was Whitchurch who moved into the semi final which will be played on a neutral ground in the new year.

Next match
Now it is back to the quest for League points and a difficult visit to AFC Portchester on Saturday (30th November)

There are no comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked (*).